Thursday, January 7, 2010

I was rejected

For the first time, I felt very humbled in my life… and all for a few kilos….I had just been thinking that I need to lose all that flab from my midriff… and while I am at it, maybe work on my upper arms …few inches less would be nice….but the attendant killed my self-image… no not just killed, but twisted the knife also.
I had thought that I was invincible …what with my never say die attitude and positive outlook and staunch faith in the adage that “karm kar phal ka asha mat rakh”…so then how did I get rejected… I am the perfect modern day single independent woman…who has the world at her feet…how dare he reject me??
All I wanted was to go and do my two-bit for this kid who was battling blood cancer… she needed blood… blood I had… am human ....not an avatar….but apparently not…my blood was not good enough.
I never felt so humbled in my life… it was as if God was saying… “Smruti, you have been taking things for granted… especially your life… you have had it easy… now is the time to pull up your socks… let this be a warning”.
And I really am a bit scared… what if my other friends and colleagues were like me…then the poor kid would have not gotten her doze of O+ve, just because we modern day independent people like our daily tipple… luckily it was not an emergency situation…. Luckily my friends are not as cocky and stupid as me.
That’s it, I have decided, I will try and lead a much healthier life…will exercise not to lose the flab, but to increase my stamina and will try and kick my other bad habits.
Thank you, Anu, Mariam, Unni, Ankush, Vatsala, Priya, Sidharth and Radhika for coming to my rescue…and thank you God for sending that attendant to save my life.

2 comments:

Lilangel said...

These are moments of realization to make us realize there are things beyond the hour glass figure...i guess we tnd to overlook th fact that being healthy is also imperative.....

Pranab said...

One thing that kept me procrastinating about getting on an exercise routine was the idea that results take a really really long while. I wasn't really interested in the year-long plan!

But once I started exercising for stamina, I was surprised to see results immediately - I started going for runs on the beach every alternate morning, and by the fourth run I saw I was covering twice the distance before I needed to slow down.

Only a month later, I felt much healthier, and began looking forward to my runs as a source of pleasure in themselves.

Perhaps I haven't lost as many inches around the middle as I'd have liked, but my heart's much healthier - which lets you have a lot of other fun ;-)