Monday, June 23, 2008

Dumbfounded!

Sages used to practice Maunvrat quite often. I don’t know the scientific reason behind this, but I am quite sure that there is one.

I had an option of practicing the same last week. I had a sore throat and I could not speak. As one of my editors remarked, that she is talking quite a lot despite losing her voice, I could not but help noticing how handicapped I had become at work. There is so much to communicate with colleagues, editors, bosses, office boys, housekeeping in a day that it is mind-boggling to say the least! However, apart from communicating at work, I detest getting into conversations these days.

The dumb state lasted a couple of hours, but I managed to stretch it for couple of days. Imagine not having to talk to anybody…it was nirvana. I have not been smarter than this ever. I hate talking to people nowadays and the worst is to be dragged into polite conversations in the name of being civil and courteous. I am not interested in knowing where Kareena and Saif went for a holiday or the side effects of botox or the pain of having a work at home hubby.

I am a simple soul who wants to do her work and keep communication to the minimum, monosyllables if at all.
I don’t have a need to communicate anything to anybody; I want to be left alone. Period.

I knowingly did not take my medicines hoping for a relapse of the condition without the bad cough… the cough was painful, it kept me up nights…but I didn’t mind the not talking part at all… why I can’t just go to a far off place where there is no other human being for miles… I guess I am in my unsociable best these days… I just want the least possible human contact both emotionally, physically and spiritually.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the same as fasting. it cleanses. people who take the 10 + days vipasana course run away after the 3rd of 4th day. just can't handle the silence, which brings forth many a question and the difficult answers and introspection that follows throws them off-balance. enjoy the tranquility.